Krill oil is a type of fatty acid that’s found in krill, the tiny shrimp-like crustaceans. You may take krill oil as a supplement because it contains omega-3 fatty acids, which are needed for optimal health. But that’s not the only reason why people take krill oil. Read on to learn about the impressive health benefits of this new alternative to fish oil, where to buy, and how to take krill oil supplements for maximum effect.
The Fats of Life – Krill Oil Vs Fish Oil
Simply put, we need fats. They are essential for life, providing energy and supporting brain and hormone production. Fats are also needed for the absorption of vitamins A, D, E, and K as well as cell membrane structure and function. They also play an important role in normal growth and development.
Your body needs different types of fat for various purposes. Generally speaking, omega-3 fatty acids are the most commonly supplemented fats because they help to combat inflammation associated with high intakes of omega-6 fatty acids. Interestingly, we evolved to eat a ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 of 4:1 but today’s diet looks more like 20:1!
Fish oil is a popular supplement that helps to reverse the negative effects of too much omega-6 fatty acid intake. Omega-3 fatty acids are also important for optimal brain and cardiovascular health. They help to combat depression, anxiety, and even ADHD in children. Omega-3s have also been shown to improve blood sugar control by helping to lower insulin resistance. However; recently, a new omega-3 supplement has been gaining popularity for its health benefits. It has all the benefits of a fish oil supplement but is more sustainable. Meet krill oil.
Health Benefits of Krill Oil
Krill oil boasts many impressive benefits:
• Sustainable: Krill oil is a natural source of omega-3 fatty acids. It is considered a more sustainable choice than fish oil because it doesn’t rely on the overfishing of our oceans.
• DHA: Krill oil is high in DHA, an essential fatty acid that helps support brain function, heart health, and joint mobility. DHA is also an important building block for the brain and eyes. It has been shown to help with depression, anxiety, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and other cognitive disorders.
• Heart Health: Krill oil may lower cholesterol levels while increasing HDL (the good) cholesterol levels in the blood.
• Antioxidants: Krill oil is rich in astaxanthin. This is an antioxidant that supports brain, eye, and heart health.
• Joint Health: Krill oil is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which can help reduce inflammation in the joints. It has been shown to be an effective treatment for pain and inflammation, as well as helping to improve joint mobility and flexibility.
• Absorbability: Krill oil’s structure is made up of phospholipids, which may make krill oil easier to absorb than fish oils, which are made from triglycerides. In one study, researchers found that the consumption of krill oil was well tolerated by all study participants, with no adverse events reported. Results from the study indicated that krill oil may be more effective than fish oil in increasing omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and reducing the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3, as well as improving the participants’ overall omega-3 index.
Buying Krill Oil Supplements
Knowing how much of this supplement to take is important in it actually supporting your health. The appropriate dosage for you depends on your age and weight, but generally speaking, adults should take at least 250 mg per day, with doses of up to 2 grams per day, depending on your health goals.
Krill oil supplements have been found to have mild blood-thinning properties. As a result, those who are currently taking anti-coagulant medications or herbs that can also increase bleeding should use krill oil supplements with caution. Krill oil is not recommended during pregnancy as it has not been studied on this delicate population.
Which Krill Oil Is Best?
Now Neptune Krill Oil 1000mg is a highly favorited supplement. Each softgel contains 1000mg of krill oil with 120mg of EPA and 70mg of DHA. The krill oil in this supplement is 100% pure and patented NKO. These easy-to-swallow softgels are convenient and are tested to be free from contaminants like mercury, heavy metals, PCB’s and dioxins.
Krill oil supplements are an excellent way to get the health benefits of krill in your diet. Although they can be expensive, krill oil supplements are worth it because they provide a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and other nutrients that your body needs, while also being sustainable.
It is highly recommended that you take professional consultation from a qualified healthcare practitioner before taking any Krill oil supplements.
Disclaimer: The information in this article is intended for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered as a substitute for medical advice. Please consult your practitioner prior to taking herbs or nutritional supplements.